LifeLine Real Stories

Tragedy averted off thanks to Nautilus LifeLine
 We departed the marina, the weather was beautiful and sunny. One of the divers recently bought the lifeline radio and had a chance to play with it as we were leaving. He clipped it onto his BCD and we thought no more of it. We made it almost to our destination when the wind began picking up and shifting unusually. The boat operator and dive leader decided to turn around and call it off. We were on our way back when a large wave overtook the bow of the boat causing some water to fill the bottom. Then a second wave added more water. At this point the boat was significantly full with water. It began to list. Then when all the weights and equipment fell to that side, the boat overturned. Everyone except the boat operator were wearing drysuits. I immediately pulled the boat operator up onto the floating overturned boat. We waited and inflated a safety marker when we seen what we thought was a large ship getting closer. It wasnt long after we discovered it was a marine marker. It became obvious that we were way too far out for anyone to see. Then we remembered that the radio was on a set of gear. One of the divers ducked his head under and couldnt see it in all the commotion. A fin began floating, the plan was for me to swim to a lighthouse which was quite far away. Then another diver was able to pull out a bcd/reg/tank set. I strapped it on and went for a swim. All of the gear was gone except for 2 sets still hung up on the latter, which was fully extended. The set that set deeper in the water was the set with the radio. With great difficulty I pulled myself down the ladder, and was upside down at this point because of the lack of weights.My gear got hung up on the ladder but I was able to grasp the radio. I slipped out of my gear, ripped the radio off the lanyard and darted towards the surface. We immediately called in the mayday and it was all uphill from there. We joked and lightened the mood. But luckily we had the radio, at minimum, the boat operator would not have lived in the cold water.

By Dustin R.

Read More

"Here is the reason I wont go on a dive boat trip without this wonderfull piece of equipment"
 Here is my story : Here is the reason I wont go on a dive boat trip without this wonderfull piece of equipment that save my life (and other people). On Sunday 15 Nov 15, we had two boat dives organised by the Dive Club at Race Rock and Swordfish Island (BC). At around 1315 hrs, the boast left Pedder Bay Marina with 8 divers onboard + the boat ops to our first dive site, Race Rock. The weather at that time was blue sky, sunny and just a bit windy, nothing unusual (according the the weather forcast, there was nothing to be concern about). On our way to the dive site, we realised that the waves are getting bigger but nothing to be concern about. When we arrived on site, we realised that it will be unsecure to dive because the water was too choppy. We tried to go around the island to see if we can find a quitter spot but it was not the case. At that point, we decided to called the dive and go the other dive site (should be quitter because inside a little bay). On our way to go there, the weather got worst, bigger waves and wind. One big wave came from nowhere and started to fill the boat of water. A second came and third capsized the boat. Even the boat upside down, it was still floating. The boat ops climbed on top of the hull + 4 others divers. 3 divers and myself stayed in the water hooked the hull. We did immediately a head compt and everybody was there. At that point, everybody was looking at each other to make sure everybody was ok. We retrieve gloves & hoods who was floating around us. Gloves were useful for people without it……specially in the water. I always carry a SMB (7 ft long DAN orange fluo) with me in one of my drysuit pocket and gave it to one of the guys on the hull to use it to make us a bit more visible for help. We were too far from the lighthouse to even think about swiming. One of the guys who was in the water with me told us that he bought an emergency radio two weeks ago and he put it inside his BCD’s pocket. We were looking at each other and we saw a chance to get rescue…..if the BCD was still there. Now the question was how to get there? Luckily, there was a BCD floating who was retrieved after the capsized. One of the guys who was on top of the hull mentioned that he will go get it if he can get a mask. I always carry a spare mask in one of my drysuit’s pocket and gave it to him. At that point, he jumped in the water, put the BCD and mask on and went under the boat. Luckily, he found the only BCD there and retrieved the radio. He came to the surface with it and the moral at that point went up…BIG TIME. The boat OPS call for help on channel 16 and used the red button and we’ve been rescued shortly after. I'm a tek diver and alway carry extra in my drysuit pocket... just in case. From now on, I will carry my Aquarius Lifeline radio with me on every dive. I will promote the Lifeline to the diving community here in Victoria and to all my students.

By Mario R.

"Crazy day today...on the bright side, the Nautilus Lifeline is awesome"
   First dive was a shark dive and we had a great hammerhead, silky sharks and a sandbar shark. Second dive there wasn't much to see and when another guy and I came up, we saw the boat in the distance picking up another group.

 They couldn't see our SMBs (6ft) so I tried hailing them on the Nautilus. The boat couldn't understand what I was saying so I tried channel 16. The Coast Guard responded to the call and tried to get a fix on our position. I gave them the coordinates on the radio and they relayed that info to the boats in the area but they still couldn't find us.

Coast Guard Lake Worth launched a boat as did Jupiter PD. During this time, the waves were picking up and it started raining pretty hard. I hit the distress button on the Nautilus and the Coast Guard confirmed they had our exact spot mapped out. It was Jupiter PD that got to us first though and they guided our boat in.

We were drifting for about an hour and a half. I can't believe the camera came unhooked. I usually hold on to it but between the radio and the SMB I had to clip it off. When I got back to the boat, the rope was still clipped to the BC but the camera was gone.

By Rat-man

"The LifeLine radio is worth every penny"

   My buddy and I were diving in Key Largo for a few days. On day two our regular boat op was not doing a night dive and we wanted one, so we scheduled with a different smaller op. The smaller op seemed well run, and was happy to take us and two other divers out on an Atlantic reef a little over a mile offshore for a night dive! It was our second night dive this trip, and we still managed to make a few jokes about the movie “open water” on the ride out to the dive site. After all the usual formalities, the buddy pairs got in the water. We had a great dive, saw squid, lots of tropical fish, rays, and eels. There was a fairly strong current across the reef, and it took some focus on navigation to stay near the boat. At the end of the dive, we surfaced about 100’ away from the boat; which I thought was pretty good. Unfortunately we surfaced just in time to hear him fire up the engines and drive off! My first thought was that another boat had come to the area while we were diving and we surfaced by the wrong boat; but after a moment of looking around I couldn’t see any lights other than on shore a long way off. With the current, it would have been an extremely difficult swim – if we’d have made it at all. My buddy started to get upset, and that conversation about the movie flashed back into my mind. Fortunately, I had an insurance policy on a D-Ring. I fired up my LifeLine radio and hailed the boat. We weren’t in the water long before he came and got us and we were safely back on board. It turns out the dive team had not been paying as much attention and had got quite far from the boat. The captain saw their SMB and lights when they surfaced, and went to rescue the distressed divers. The peace of mind brought by knowing I had a way to help save myself instantly made the LifeLine radio worth every penny. Since my gopro camera was attached to my dive lights, I even have a photo of the radio actually being used to make the call.

From Aaron
You just saved my life!
"Thank you guys! You just saved my life. $299 was the most important investment I ever made! How small can the price of my life be?

Here is my story. I think I am the first buyer who used the Nautilus Lifeline in 18 hours after purchase.

Yesterday at 6:00 pm, I got a call from our Dive center in Florida. They offered me a spear fishing trip for the next morning at the reed which I couldn’t miss. I am new to spear fishing bit I have 10 years of experience in regular diving. I thought that the current might be strong and it was time to buy your radio. At the last minute before the shop closed I bought a LifeLine.

On the next morning, during our first dive, I must have gone too far from the boat as when I came to the surface I couldn’t see it. Then I saw several boats that were all too far away from me, about 1-1.5 miles. I started calling them and after 2 hours one boat picked me up. In the end, I had drifted 3.5 miles away.

Thank you Nautilus LifeLine!
E. from Florida
I intend to promote your product
"I recently purchased the lifeline diver model. I have never been swept off a wreck or the anchor line. But I can't say how pleased I am that you developed this product. One of my first wreck dives I had ever done was in North Carolina on a rough day and there was a very strong current. A father/son dive team on another boat in the area got split up and the son was never found evn though there were several boats and the coast guard searching. It was not a good day for our sport. My full time job is in aviation and I thought, `How could I adapt an ELT for this purpose?` I am glad you did more than think on it! If the son had had the lifeline he may still with us today.

Thank you again for this product, I work as a diver/crewmember on dive boat and intend to promote your product as divers sometimes come up away from the wreck and we need to then find them and recover them"

Best regards,
Greg Ombalski
Peace of Mind
"I've been surfing for 3 years and I LOVE surfing in the winter (I know, crazy right?). It gets pretty cold and lonely off the wild coast of Maryland in the winter time and we really try to create a buddy system for safety reasons. Based on individual demands and schedules, it's not always possible to surf with a friend. When searching in the Internet, the advice you find for safety for solo surfing is 'don't surf alone.' NICE! Well, that's not always possible and if you are yearning for hitting the water, some of us crazies will go it alone regardless. I was fortunate enough to find the Lifeline so that I can still surf and know that I'm literally a click away from help if I'm in trouble. This gives me and my family the peace of mind I need to hit the water with a surfer's lifeline!"

Maryland, USA
Michelle Burke
Lifeline lost at sea for nearly two months is back in service.
On September 24th my wife Tiffany, my buddy Bob and I were making a deep dive (70m+) in the middle of the Auau Channel between Maui and Lanai. An equipment malfunction required me to bail of my closed circuit rebreather and switch to open circuit SCUBA at depth. In the urgent scramble to bail, my Nautilus Lifeline was dislodged and lost. I thought the Lifeline was gone forever never to be seen or heard from again.

Fast forward to the DEMA show in November and I get a call from Philip at Nautilus. Seems DLNR enforcement agents had located my Lifeline quite some distance away on the near deserted beaches of the North West shore of Lanai past Shipwreck Beach. Seems they wanted to know if I was still alive... I returned their call. Officer Mike was very pleased to hear I was fine and promptly sent my lifeline back to Maui on the ferry. His parting shot was, "I hope to never see it again but if I do, I hope it is attached to you and you are alive and well."

After a brief soak in fresh water to get the salt and sand out of the hinge, it opened right up and is back in service. It now has a safety lanyard and I am looking forward to receiving the pouch. I was an early adopter and didn't have that option. Thanks for an amazing product that managed to find its way home! My wife has ordered her Lifeline, in Pink of course, to offset all her black Tec gear.

Todd Winn
Silent O Solutions LLC
Nautilus Lifeline carried on world record English Channel dive.
Photo Credit: XploreYourLimits/Judith Hoppe
When I set the world record in being the first person to dive through the English Channel on June 29, 2012, I carried a Nautilus Lifeline as an emergency device with me. I am certainly very happy that I did not have to proof that it is working, moreover since I was diving under one of the busiest ship lanes in the world. But to have it with me certainly set my mind at ease and moreover of the support teams on stand by at either side of the Channel.

Achim Schloeffel
We now own the Nautilus Lifeline. I will never dive without one.
Photo Credit: Cathy Hebrlee
April 2012
Long story short - due to deteriorating weather conditions on the surface during a dive in Fiji, our boat captain lost myself, my wife and our two dive masters in open water for about an hour. After multiple unsuccessful attempts to signal using a safety sausage and whistle, we waited for the cloud ceiling to lift. This photo is our rescue by a Zodiac from a live aboard that was in the area. After this experience, we now own the Nautilus Lifeline. I will never dive without one.

Thanks for making such a great product.

Trent and Cathy PADI Rescue Divers, Parker, Colorado at Taveuni Fiji.

This is good insurance.
I am glad to have your radio because I once had a situation where the dive boat lost me and my buddy. This is good insurance in case this should ever happen again.

Stuart Levine, Michigan USA
The Nautilus not only saved our bacon, but saved our trip.
On a recent dive we were hot dropping a wreck in 240'. The current was ripping like it always is there. We missed the wreck and by the time we came up after about 12min of deco the boat had lost track of us. We had blown SMBs quickly, but not quick enough. One of the other divers said "We're screwed, the boat still thinks we are on the wreck". I responded "No we are not screwed" I took out my Nautilus Lifeline and let the boat captain know we bounced, and our GPS position.

We soon saw the boat and talked them right over to us. We got right back on the boat, and decided that we would try for the wreck again, and this time we made it. The Nautilus not only saved our bacon, but saved our trip. You can't do that with and EPIRB.

In addition the digitally encoded GPS/distress signal was picked up instantly by Coast Guard Sector Jacksonville, and we where 30 nautical miles east from Port Canaveral. I believe that the other divers as well as the boat captain will be picking a Nautilus up in the near future.

T.J. Sylvester
We were picked up by another boat after we drifted 3 miles in 90 minutes.
Hi Captain Lever,
I have just returned from a weeks diving in Grenada, using my CCR. On the last dive, a group of 4 divers descended on the wreck of the Hemer 1, stayed in the water for 40 minutes max depth 100 feet. great dive warm and clear loads of life.

We surfaced all together as a group deploying DSMB's before leaving the Wreck. On surfacing a tropical storm had come over the area reducing the visibility to feet!! and the dive boat had lost our DSMB's and us! we drifted away from the Wreck, in very rough seas some 5 miles south of Grenada, in the Atlantic.

We carried 2 lifelines between the group of 4, we called the boat using the green button, but due to the wind and rain nothing was heard, tried the orange button again nothing as lots of boats had made for shellter due to the conditions.

Finally we fired of the Distress Mode, this was picked up by several boats and a search was started, we drifted 3 miles from the wreck in 90 minutes but where eventually picked up by another dive boat that had come out from Grenada to search. He was guided to us by the GPS numbers transmitted by the Lifeline.

I would like to thank you and your team for developing the product.

Yours faithfully,
Nick King
I'm a Believer.
My unit arrived just in time! This morning I was bitten by an eel and had to surface early. The boat was far away so I used my Lifeline to call the boat. With my hand hurting and bleeding, it sure was nice to have the boat hear and respond to my call! Even the shop's land based radio heard my call over 5 miles away! I'm a believer!

Richard Apple Tells his experiencein this video.
find a dealr           videos warranty shop
EMAIL NEWSLETTER: Stay up to date on our products and specials
Live Chat   l   In The News   l   Blog   l   Dealer Locator   l   Buy Now   l   Distributors   l   Keyman Program   l   Privacy Policy   l   Terms & Conditions
© 2013 Nautilus LifeLine, Ltd. All Rights Reserved.