Nautilus LifeLine Testimonials

Surfer’s peace of mind

I've been surfing for 3 years and I LOVE surfing in the winter (I know, crazy right?). It gets pretty cold and lonely off the wild coast of Maryland in the winter time and we really try to create a buddy system for safety reasons. Based on individual demands and schedules, it's not always possible to surf with a friend. When searching in the Internet, the advice you find for safety for solo surfing is, 'don't surf alone.' NICE! Well, that's not always possible and if you are yearning for hitting the water, some of us crazies will go it alone regardless.

I was fortunate enough to find the Lifeline so that I can still surf and know that I'm literally a click away from help if I'm in trouble. This gives me and my family the peace of mind I need to hit the water with a surfer's Lifeline!
- Michelle B., Maryland, USA

Do you have a LifeLine story to share? We’d love to hear from you.
Please get in touch - we may feature your story!

Share this post:

More Testimonials

In 2019 during a liveaboard scuba diving vacation in the Maldives, there was a situation on a popular diving spot that required the use of my Nautilus Lifeline GPS VHF marine radio so we could be located and retrieved back to our diving boat. The main larger boats are often using smaller boats or skiffs, called Dhoni’s, to take divers to and from the dive sites. I was part of a small group of five divers and we had a wonderful wall drift dive just off a small island. Once on the surface we realized the current had taken us further than planned and we were about to be swept around the island land mass that was adjacent to our dive sight. The challenge was that many boats of different sizes were now between us at the surface and both our Dhoni and our main boat. The member of the crew who led the dive was a new dive instructor, they had us stay close together and just tried to keep a few of the divers calm as they were showing signs of stress and anxiety for the situation. Some divers were starting to call out that they were going to try to surface kick to the island. The situation was starting to get interesting! Using my Nautilus Lifeline GPS VHF radio that I had already calibrated and tested with the main boat early in the week, I was able to calmly call and speak with the captain, describing our location and situation. Five minutes later the Dhoni access boat picked us up and brought us to the main boat. Nerves were calmed and the other divers thanked me for have the foresight to carry such an important piece of safety equipment on my dives. Over dinner we shared our adventure with the other guests. I only dive if I can ensure I’m taking my Nautilus Lifeline along for the ride! Spencer Lawes

To the Nautilus Team, Your Nautilus LifeLine GPS (new version) saved our asses today. We (6 divers) were drifting an hour offshore in big swells and strong current. The boat skipper lost track of our bubbles through no fault of his own. When we didn’t surface after an hour, he sent out a signal alerting all boats in the area. Meanwhile we inflated our sausages, but a couple of passing boats either didn’t see us or didn’t want to. After 45 minutes of drifting, K triggered her LifeLine. Another boat finally saw us and picked us up. Just then two helicopter circled overhead, one from the fire department and one from the coast guard. If the boat hadn’t spotted us we still would have been rescued. I have to admit I didn’t bring my LifeLine this trip, but am thankful K brought hers. I’ll never again go diving without it. Thanks,

It has been the experience of your correspondent, and that of many others in the past, that safety in diving doesn’t sell. Just as car buyers offered the choice between an entertainment system or more airbags will choose the former, divers are just the same. They know bad things will never happen to them so have no inclination to spend on emergency safety gear. One of diving’s great risks is being swept away. As one old hand observed ‘In a current you’re like a leaf in the sea’. And if it’s a bad day and seas are up and the current’s running things rapidly get very hairy. Recently four of us went out on a less than perfect day to dive a wreck about half a mile offshore in 51 metres. Breeze was 15 knots gusting 18 and blowing from the shore, current about one knot heading south. The other three were all breather divers and planning to spend 30-40 minutes on the bottom with a run-time of roughly 1hr 40 min total. I was going to dive open circuit for a lesser bottom time but, looking at the wind, sea state and current, opted to boat for the others. Two had scooters. One, let’s call him Jeff, scootered away from the wreck after a short time on the bottom, and realising he was lost did a blue-water bag-ascent. His irresponsible mates carried on their original plan, disregarding the disappearance of their erstwhile buddy. The wind speed picked up to 25 knots, gusting 30 plus with the sea state deteriorating. Jeff surfaces way down current after a bag deco, his safety sausage blows flat in the breeze and his scooter is only powerful enough to hold station in the current, not to make headway back towards the boat and I’m not keeping a sharp lookout this early in the dive plan. He’s smart enough to know he’s in trouble and cool enough to look for assistance. By now the deteriorating conditions send recreational fishos in their runabouts back to shelter. Two pass by in Jeff’s vicinity but are oblivious to his efforts to attract them. The third almost runs him over before he sees Jeff and stops to take him on board. Meanwhile I know nothing. I see from my chartplotter the other two miscreants have pulled the anchor so I lay out a sea-anchor to stop a drift to New Zealand while these guys do their hour long deco. First one back on board has the temerity to ask ‘Where’s Jeff?’ I think his ears are still ringing from the abuse I heaped on him for not aborting the dive when one of the party disappeared. Then the search was on. Sixty minutes of pounding through heavy seas, working out how far a diver would have drifted in an hour and a half, searching likely drift patterns and half expecting to find a body. I had alerted Marine Rescue earlier, first of all with a heads-up when the divers were down and the weather was going bad and then again when the search started. Our stress ended on getting a VHF call from Rescue to say our missing diver was on the boat-ramp jetty back in Botany Bay. He alighted from his rescuer’s boat just as the Marine search vessel was preparing to leave the same jetty to look for him. All three of these characters, having learned a first-hand lesson of how bad things can get when conditions turn nasty, went out the same day and bought a Nautilus Lifeline submersible GPS/VHF radios, with two others of my regular diving mates following their example. Nothing like a bit of sphincter puckering to bring reality home and to encourage investing in a life saving device. From Dive New Zealand & Dive Pacific A/M 2012 Issue #129.